What is Decision‐Making Under Stress?
DMUS is a practical seminar for acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary to make and carry out decisions in an emergent situation. The method of instruction emphasizes two components of decision-making. The first is awareness: awareness of self, awareness of one’s team, and awareness of the situation. The second component develops technique and tools, which are constructed by the participants in the course of the seminar with the guidance of the instructor.
The seminar was developed as a direct result of long operational experience in both military and civilian capacities by the team leaders, and reflects the belief that individuals can be taught to enhance their efficiency in decision-making through knowledge, training, and practice.
Decision-making under stress cannot be taught in theory alone. DMUS includes both a solid theoretical base coupled with a practical application of the material. The course is divided into eight stages, with participants experiencing increasing levels of stress at each stage, enhancing resilience and enabling more efficient and successful decision-making. The course is tailor-made for the target audience, both on a group and individual level. In the final stage of the course, individually-tailored scenarios will challenge participants and provide them with the opportunity to utilize the IRR principles in successfully resolving emergent situations.
About the Instructor, Jacob More
• BA in Emergency Medicine, Ben Gurion University, 2004
• MA in Disaster Management, University of Haifa, 2008
• Graduate of National Red Cross program, certified to train teams in disaster intervention
• Risk Management Certification Program, Tel Aviv Univ.
• Superior, Medivac Unit, Israel National EMS
• Regional Paramedic Supervisor, an active paramedic, Magen David Adom in Israel
• Crew member, Israel Air Force Search and Rescue Unit (669)
• Senior medical staff member, Israeli Secret Service
• Participant in search and rescue operations in Turkey, Kenya, Bulgaria, Egypt, Cyprus, Greece
• Instructor, “MICHAEL” project (honing individual skills toward excellence)
• Member of think tank, research in National Security Institute